Sunday, July 02, 2006

Alert the Amphibious Squadron!

"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was very very laughable and silly, but it was certainly a lot of fun to watch with the right people. Plus it had dinosaurs (sort of), which makes any movie better. As my friend noted, it was just the right blend of "bad" and "fun" that we could easily see it becoming somewhat of a Rocky Horroresque cult movie.

I also saw "Superman Returns" and found it less than super. Still I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it was worth seeing on the big screen. It's just not likely I'll go and watch it over and over again once it hits DVD. I've never been much of a Superman fan, and I'm not all that familiar with him, but this movie certainly made me like the character more than I did before. Brandon Routh also did a REALLY good job as the title character, and Kevin Spacey was fun as Lex Luthor (even if his evil plot made NO sense). Lois Lane, however, was a little bland, which was too bad because I kinda like Kate Bosworth in the bits of chick flicks I've seen her in (such as the last half of "Win a Date With Date Hamilton"--my sister was watching it...sue me).

Still, there really is very little SUSPENSE in a Superman movie. With Spidey or Batman you're always wondering how they're going to save the world (or at least the city) since they have their limitations, but Superman is so omnipotent that you really don't have to worry too much unless there's some Kryptonite around. Also, how does Krpyton DNA and Earth DNA manage to be compatible??? It's a big enough pill to swallow that Superman just HAPPENS to look like Earthlings to begin with. Will says Superman is just like a USB port...although wouldn't he REALLY be the cable? And how did Lois survive getting drilled by Superman anyway?

I've also been leafing through some old files of mine that contain doodles, poems, and such from high school (and earlier). There are some real gems, and it really is a nice walk down memory lane. I may post some of them later.

Tootles!

3 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So basically i just wrote this whole huge comment on your blog but it disappeared, so here's the quick-and-dirty summary.

1. Sky Captain was a pastichey nostalgia wankfest that was too amused with itself for it's own good.

2. Speaking of nostalgia wankery, I have come to see that in retrospect, Superman Returns isn't about re-inventing the character or giving Supes some modern spin, rather it's a return to the Golden/Silver age spirit of both Superman and superheroes in general. It still wasn't exactly what guys like us were hoping for (I personally wanted something that would have made a case for Superman's continued relevance in modern culture), but at the same time, I think the movie succeeded admirably at what it set out to do. So there. Let the Blog Wars commence!

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

 
At 3:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially I like the first site. But other links are informative too, if you are interested check all those links.http://indexmachine.info/581.html and http://googleindex.info/701.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home